Saturday, October 22, 2022

Mink Lake

I tried my luck at Mink Lake in July. I've driven past this lake dozens of times on my way to other places nearby but I've never stopped. Access is off Highway 16, turning south down Highway 770 at the Carvel corner. It is about 8 km south from the turn off on the west side of the road.


The only good access I could find was through the Mink Lake RV campground It costs $22 per car to use their boat launch for the day. The launch is fine and easy. It looks like some folks have DIYed access off Highway 770 through a farmer's field. The field is planted in crops so I didn't stop here.


The lake is basically a reedy edge with a mixture of crop-land and trees behind it. The lake is also pretty weedy and full of fish.


There are two basins. The southern basin (where you launch) has a lot of road noise from the highway. The lake is small and shallow so it is pretty calm. 


The northern basin is quieter and bound on the north by the main CN line. So, periodically, you get a train.


The campsite also has a small beach with a swim platform. The water was pretty clean.


Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't go back. There are nicer lakes nearby (Mayatan, Johnny's, Star, Muir) that are free. If I was going to pay, I'd try Hubbles (swimming!) or Jackfish (more interesting wildlife and shoreline).

No comments: