Saturday, November 5, 2022

Glenmore Reservoir

A family visit took my to Calgary this summer and I managed to get in an early morning paddle on the Glenmore Reservoir. I put in at the boat launch at Heritage Park about 7 am. This launch was insanely busy when I went back later in the day. Nice concrete boat ramp out to sheltered bay.


I was a bit tight on time so I just paddled the NW reach pf the reservoir, below Heritage Park, over to the causeway, and then back along below the golf course and Glenmore Park. It was about 3km and took under an hour at a very leisurely place. If I'd had more time, I would have gone to the west end, up the elbow, and into Weaselhead.


The east shore is basically an alpine paddle with fir trees, a steep shoreline, and very clear water. Different view of the Moyie than I usually get when I'm in town.



Downtown was magnified by a little mist over top the causeway.


Theory dick of the Moyie.


Lots of crews out practicing on the racecourse. The west side of the bay is more foothills, with sand and low scrub.


A few birds including this duck who didn't seem able to make me out against the rising sun.


The city seems to have run a bike path along the golf course since I lived in Calgary; very cool bridges.


The canoe club at Glenmore Park is an alternate launch site.


The sun coming up over Heritage Park.

Overall, a lovely paddle. Sad I didn't have time to grind up into Weaselhead. Maybe next trip.

No comments: