Saturday, July 15, 2023

Haunted Lakes

In mid-June, I drove down to the Haunted Lakes just NE of Red Deer and due east of the town of Alix. Access to the northern lake is through the Aix campground. You can park right beside the lake and put a boat in on a sandy beach anywhere in the yellow oval below.


There are picnic tables, fire pits, and port-a-potties here as well as a picnic shelter and small playground. The water was pretty clear the day I was there but I don't think the lake would be great for swimming and is like to be pretty weedy by summer. There is also an algae sign but there was no algae.


I was unable to find access to the southern lake and didn't put in here. You could probably DIY something just off Highway 601. The lakes do not join together (I figured there would be a bridge you could paddle under or something).


The northern lake was shallow and there were lots of birds, including bunch of yellow-headed black birds. I also ran into two deer browsing.


The edge is a mix of aspen forest and open fields. 


Overall, a nice enough paddle once. I didn't see anything that would draw me back a second time. I also checked out Alix Lake, located in the village of Alex. There is a sand/gravel boat launch (below) and a park. The lake was pretty reedy and there was already some algae growth.

I didn't have time to paddle a second lake so no real sense of what it hold.

No comments: