Saturday, October 14, 2023

Lessard Lake

In late July, I ventured out to Lessard Lake, just off Highway 43 about an hour out of town. The perimeter of the lake is about 8km and it took me about 90 minutes to make my away around. It was a bit of an overcast day, so the pictures are drab


There are three public access points: there are boat launches on the north and south shores. You can also launch out of the campground on the east shore. I chose the campground because I heard the operator was a nice guy (true!). There were no fees and there was a picnic table, port-a-potty, and playground in the day-use area. You could drop your boats right beside the lake and then park maybe 50 feet back (you can see my true in the shot below in the right).


The campground launch was so-so. Nice shallow, sloping gravel bed. A bit weedy at the edge but easily stepped over. The water is iced-tea coloured. There was a blue-green algae warning, but the only place I saw some was in the SW corner (which also had lots of duck weed).


The sore of the lake is pretty uniform: a band of reeds or cattails, then some dead trees (lake level looks up, probably due to beavers), then an aspen forest. There were lots of grebes and ducks and geese here, plus a few loons, and a pelican.


The only good places to get out are the boat launches. Above you can see the southern one. Good parking, dock, nice launch, picnic table. The northern launch is below and is a bit more basic (there is a dock hidden in the reeds on the right.


The west side of the lake is the most interesting, with beaver lodges and such. Overall, a bit boring of a lake.



The moody skies helped make it more interesting.


On the west edge, I noticed a huge eagle nest. And, as I paddled closer, I saw there was even an eagle sitting there.


I think this was a golden eagle (dark beak, mottled breast) but they don't usually nest in trees. It might also be a juvenile bald eagle. Either way, it was huge.


Overall, this was an okay paddle. There are nicer lakes within an hour of Edmonton and I'm not sure I'd go back. It might be prettier in the autumn with the leaves changing or more interesting in the spring with nesting birds (and likely cleaner water).

No comments: