Saturday, May 20, 2023

North Lake and Little Mere

I took a trip to North Lake and Little Mere a week ago. Access can be a bit tricky and DIY so I put directions here. The lake was in good shape, with no weed growth yet and a decent water level.


I went in at at the culvert where Range Road 13 intersects Township Road 540. This is steep and a touch tricky. Then I paddle through the sunken forest and out into the lake.


One of the nicest spots on the lake in on the south side where the outflow should be but has been dammed up by beavers. There is a small inlet that is shaded by trees.
 

I did a quick circuit of the lakes. there was a lot of waterfowl, including geese and loons and grebes. No signs of the beavers, except for their lodge.


The day was hot (+25C in early May) and the sky was almost cloudless. I never seen anyone on this lake and today was no exception.


I did get to wave at the horses. They were curious but a bit skittish, referring to keep some distance from the kayak.



I took out a bit further east than I put in as it looked easier to exit here. This still was a rather athletic disembarking to get out dry footed. 

Overall, a nice paddle. I'm not sure I'd go back any time soon. After three or four visits, I think I've seen pretty much all the lake has to offer.

No comments: