Monday, July 2, 2012

Astotin Lake, Elk Island National Park

We took the bikes out to Elk Island this weekend and the place was hopping. I've been canoeing there for years and I don't think I've ever been able to get five boats in one shot (with two more just out of the frame to the right).


The water levels are the same as 2011, but lots of folks were putting in off the main beach and the parking lot was full of kayaks and canoes. If we go back to camp this year, I may put the canoe on (assuming I can recall how the roof-racks work) and go for a solo paddle.



There was also a lot of birds, including half a dozen pelicans.


I always forget just how big these birds are until you get close. Fortunately, they mostly bolt from boaters although this fellow was only about 10 feet from these kayakers before he pulled the pin.


As planned, we rode around a bit and then I rode back to the main gate. It was only 13km but there are a lot more hills in the country than in town. I thought I was doing well until a pair of 60-year-olds on a tandem passed me like I was a statue.

1 comment:

Bob Barnetson said...

We were out at Astotin on June 29, 2014 and the Edmonton Canoe Club was renting canoes and kayaks off the beach,