Saturday, June 25, 2022

Astotin Lake

In late May, we ventured out to Elk Island.The family wanted to hike and see the frog chorus going on. I brought a boat to try my luck at Astotin Lake. As is often the case, there was a stiff breeze. Not quite white caps but the waves were 12- to 18-inches off the main beach (not go picture because I was busy paddling).


It looks like the canoe rentals are again a go and there is also a permanent snack shack and other improvements over my last trip out. While I launched off the main beach, the boat launch (below) has been redone since my last visit (the annoying wooden walls have been removed and the lunch is much more functional).


I tacked to the south to try to get over into the lee of the islands along the south shore.


Things were much calmer here and there were a lot of gulls and ducks and such.




I puttered around for awhile, hopping from island to island and avoiding most of the waves.


After an hour or so, there was no sign of the wind abating so I tacked back to the main beach. It was a fairly wet trip with spray. Not the roughest I've been out on Astotin, but getting there. 


Several other folks pulled up with boats but only one couple decided to try their luck. A lovely visit otherwise with a huge herd of bison visible on the way back.

No comments: