Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sturgeon River

In early August, water on the Sturgeon River in St Albert was high enough to get a decent paddle in. It has been almost two years since there's been enough volume to make it a worthwhile paddle.


I put in at the boat launch in Riel Recreation Park. This was a so-so launch. The dock let me get in dry footed at least. The ducks on the dock were not phased by my appearance.


I saw a heron grooming itself in a tree on the way down. And I saw an osprey duke it out with a bald eagle above downtown St Albert!.


Floating through St. Albert is always a treat. Lots of pretty vistas and the weather was great.




The boat launch at Mission was a bit of a mess. The low water had really encouraged the swamp to grow in here. You could get a boat through the weeds but it would likely be icky.


I then went further down stream to the Boudreau bridge. This was about a 9km round trip and was lovely. I was the only one on the water except right at the end when I passed another person heading out.





Overall, a fun paddle with lots to see. It was nice to have a paddle within 20 minute of my house! I understand there is a new launch further down stream so I may try that if I get a chance this summer.

No comments: