Saturday, March 9, 2024

East Pit Lake

In early October, I ventured out to East Pit Lake, just north of Wabamun. The lake was lovely; the approach is the challenge here. The carry is about 1500 feet but with a 150-foot elevation change. I've always gone with others so we could cooperate for the carry; today was my first time on my own.


Getting down to the lake wasn't too bad. I just put the boat on my head and walked down. It was a bit stormy when I got there, with some chop and then a small rainstorm that I rode out under a willow bush.


The beavers have been busy with a much bigger lodge than last year!


As the sun came out, the paddle got nicer. There were a couple of guys fishing and one lone muskrat puttering along the shoreline.


The fall colours were great though. 



After a couple of laps, it was time to hump the boat back out. I was glad I brought my regular shoes with me instead of changing at the truck and making do with sandals.


Looking up the hill.


Knees making complaining sounds.


It wasn't terrible but the hill was long.


I managed to get back to the truck without setting the boat down so I'm calling that a win.

Overall, a pretty good paddle and nice to know I can do it solo, since my previous paddling partners are both hard-no's on this one!

No comments: