In late May, I ventured down to Coal Lake and Pipestone Creek near Wetaskiwin. Access to both is available at the south end of Coal Lake near the campground.
The launch contains a cement ramp and a small gravel beach, a dock, pit toilets, and picnic tables plus lots of parking. The water was pretty clean in late May.
The entrance to Pipestone Creek is due west across the lake from the launch. The entrance is in the reeds on the south end of the lake but isn't hard to find (being 25 feet across). Just paddle to the west shore and turn left (south).
The channel meanders some and eventually you go under a cement road bridge with lots of swallows.
You can then paddle about 4 winding km up the creek. There are usually lots of birds to watch.
Eventually you enter sensitive habitat with this request to stay in your boat. This matters because you will encounter some beaver dams and be tempted to get out to get around them.
On this trip, the first one I encountered was broken (left side of picture below) and the water was high enough that I could bum scoot over the lip.
The channel narrows as you go upstream against the very mild current.
Someone cut the tree that used to block the channel.
This let me get to the second beaver dam.
This is a good-sized dam (over my head sitting in the boat--maybe a four-foot lip). I was getting tired and decided to turn around and float back.
It was a lovely paddle on a hot day with no bugs and pretty decent water. Probably not suitable for SUP or inflatables, though,
On the way out, I got pretty close to some pelicans.
I drove back past the launch at the north end of coal lake (which is very long). This site has pit toilets, picnic tables, and a cement launch.
The road that crosses Coal Lake also has informal pull outs you could access. Coal lakes extends a bit north of the road (although you can't get under the road) so you could also paddle that, if you wanted.
I think the next time I'm down here, I will give the north access a go.
No comments:
Post a Comment