Saturday, October 23, 2021

Hasse Lake

 I ducked out after work one day in early September to paddle Hasse Lake, just SW of Stony Plain.

Access is through a recreation area maintained by Parkland County. There is a big dock, parking, a port-a-potty, a playground, and a boat launch.


The boat launch was challenging (shallow and gross). If I'd had a canoe (or more nerve), I would have use the dock. I managed to get both in and out without getting my feet wet or muddy but there was a lot of bum-scooting the boat.

Once away from shore, the water clearer up some and was a murky iced-tea colour. Lots of birds and some fish evident in the lake.


The most interesting part was a group of pelicans on the island the middle. They sunned themselves for most of my paddle and then went fishing near the end.

The lake itself is fine and it was a very nice day. The shore is all reeds (small beach by playground) with bushes or trees in behind it.


There was one (and maybe two) beaver lodges. The lake is silting up so the edges were often very shallow. 

Lots of water fowl and shore birds. I would think this would be a bird watchers paradise in the spring.


All told, this was okay. The gross entry was a major drawback and there are nicer lakes (Mayatan, Hubble, Jackfish, Wabamun, Muir) in this general area so I probably won't be back.

No comments: