Saturday, January 6, 2024

Astotin Lake, Elk Island Park

In mid September, I drove out to Elk Island Lake for a birthday paddle. It was a week day so the place was pretty much deserted. Just me and the bison.


The lake was having an algae bloom and was emerald-coloured. Paddling through the thickest stiff was like going through liquified spinach. The boat launch was better than the beach.
 

It was also super windy when I started out, so my plan to do the northern part of the lake was scuppered and I ended up island hopping over to the more sheltered southern side.



There were a lot of migrating birds flocked up, including some pelicans. I also saw two bald eagles way up tree.




The trip back to the boat launch was quick as the waves were rolling pretty good (pictures don't really do it justice). The launch is nice enough except there are big rocks only about five feet from shore. So my ride in on the waves stopped rather abruptly and inconveniently and I had to pole and bum-scoot through the surf zone.



This is the second trip in a row that the water has been really bad. And, of course it is always windy here (even early in the day like this trip). Walking around was nice. The new boardwalk is lovely and the beavers have been active.


Overall, enjoyable, but less so the paddling. And the kayak got a much needed wash when I got home.

No comments: