Saturday, December 30, 2023

Devil's Lake

In early September, I drove out to Devil's Lake (also known as Matchayawn Lake). It has been a year or so since I was last out here My hope was to explore the creek that flows into the lake on the west side.


The boat launch on the east side of the lake was in good shape, with the brush cut back and a pit toilet, You can drop right on the edge of the lake. The road was also being rebuilt and graded. The lake, however, was having an algae bloom.


I knew the gravel launch was shallow and firm enough that I could get in and out dry footed so I decided to go despite the algae (sometimes it disappears as soon as you are away from shore).


The water was so-so in the middle of the lake. No wind and a beautiful autumn day though. A few ducks were paddling about.


I eventually found the mouth of the creek (it was pretty weedy on the western edge) and paddled up the creek a couple of hundred feet. Then there was this beavers dam. I could have likely gotten around it but I didn't want to get wet.


So back out to the lake, I went and then I toured the south side.



The contrast between looking down and looking into the distance was pretty striking!


I don't think I have every done the south shore of the lake. Usually I go to the north, under the bridge and down the sturgeon a ways. There is another launch in Bilby along the south side.


I had the lake to myself!

Overall, Devils Lake is a nice short paddle (maybe 90 minutes if you did the whole perimeter and poked around underneath the bridge). The algae bloom was just one of those unfortunate things that happens on prairie lakes.

No comments: