Saturday, December 2, 2023

Jackfish Lake

In mid-August, I drove out to Jackfish Lake and paddled the southern part of the lake. I've never done this part of the lake before. I put in at the county boat launch on the east side of the lake. It looks like they narrowed it this year so only one trailer can use it at a time.


I went early in the morning on a weekday to avoid the boat traffic that this lake often has (as well as to avoid the $20 parking charge after 4:30 on weekdays and all day on weekends). Even so, of the four boats on the lake, two were complete jerks about spacing and wakes (including one right at the launch). That is pretty much always my experience on Jackass... errr... Jackfish Lake.


I went south off the launch and followed the shoreline. It is a 50/50 mix of reeds leading to Aspen forest and lake lots with boats, docks, and floaties.


I did get close passed by a pelican!


I also surprised a loon among the docks. It was very angry to see me.


A bit later I noticed it had an almost grown chick with it (left in the photo below).


The lake was pretty enough and there was just a hint of autumn colour.


There were also a couple of interesting bays to explore. The water was really clean despite it being late in the season.


Overall, this wasn't an okay paddle. Jackfish is a clean, big, and interesting lake. It is also busy and full of very inconsiderate boaters. Better options early are Mayatan Lake, Johnny's Lake, and Spring lake.

No comments: