Saturday, December 16, 2023

North Saskatchewan, Emily Murphy

In late August, I had a quick paddle on the North Saskatchewan River, going upstream from the Emily Murphy Park boat launch to the Hawrelak Park launch and back. This is about a 4km trip in total, a 2km grind up and then a float back.


The Emily Murphy launch remains terrible, although there were city crews there when I pulled out to address the trees up against the dock. Access to the beach launch (above) is very steep and slippery. Meanwhile, the city has installed the dock downstream, which creates a sweeper.

As I was waiting my turn to launch of the beach, a newer (adult) paddler pushed off, had her boat slew around in the current, collided with the dock, and dumped. Fortunately, she managed to recover. This is just such a terrible design. Note the warning sign half falling off the end of the dock!

The paddle was lovely. The river was a tiny bit high for this time of year (lots of rain) and dirty. But there was the start of fall colour in the trees.

I followed a coyote up the river by the Mayfair golf course.



I made it to the closed launch at Hawrelak and had a quick rest. Then I ferried across to the other side and floated back.




Overall, a nice paddle. I used to do this once or more a week. The deterioration of the launch since the dock went in means I almost never paddle here (or on the river at all, since the other accesses are crowded and harder to get to) anyone.

No comments: